Thursday, November 1, 2007

Depairing at my bad timing

Several times over the last few months, I have seen very interesting job postings for archival employment. As I am only in my first year of study (of a two year program), I cannot apply for these. Even worse, the old demon of the Catch-22 experience problem "this position requires x years experience" (but how do you get that experience?!) is omnipresent.

I have some part time and short term contract (<6 months) experience but I assume that this will not satisfy the "x years" requirements.

2 comments:

Brave Astronaut said...

Trying to get a job at the National Archives (US) presents similar difficulties. One needs to have a requisite number of American History credits. Luckily, I was an American History major as an undergrad as well as possess a graduate degree in Social Studies education.

I feel your pain. I spent about 4 months last year unemployed between the time that my contract ended at the International Monetary Fund and being hired at the National Archives.

I just took part in a session at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC), where the panel discussed mid-career job changes. Our advice to the audience is stay professionally involved. The right job is out there and you need to talk to all of us in the profession to find it.

I wish you luck in your job search.

Anonymous said...

You can post a link to your resume under "Student Seeking Internship or Practicum" on Archivopedia.com's website wiki:
http://archivopedia.com/wiki/index.php?title=Resume_Bank.

P.S. They list your blog on their site. Have you considered listing their site on your blog's "Archives Links" as a link exchange courtesy?