Monday, July 21, 2008

Overtime denied, the independent option is considered

I wish I could work overtime (or just more hours paid at the standard rate) as I have rather high expenses* coming due soon and unproductive, unpaid "free time" available. I wish I could work as a consultant or something on the side, but that doesn't seem like an option in the archives field.

The current situation makes make my hitherto passing interest in the Association of Independent Information Professionals into something more concrete. On its face, that independent option does attract me in some respects but I haven't seen any data on what exactly it involves or how much it pays (or how much income it can reliably generate). I suspect that it works something like freelance writing or acting with a minority of big winners and vast numbers of people getting by, paying the bills with other work. That said, I would be more than happy to be proven wrong on this point.

*My university just posted the fees I have to pay - it is around $8,000 (about $350 higher than last year).

No comments: